I had an old table that my Dad has passed on to me, nothing special, just a wooden foldaway table. It was painted blue, with the woodgrain showing through, but it was worn and needed a little maintenance. But it was functional so for a few years is just remained in the living room as a useful table for unfolding and resting a laptop on or a dinner.
A couple of house moves later we finally had a small back garden again, and it was a nice space in which we could work, it was also easily accessible, unlike a few of our old houses. So on the week of moving in I decided that the old fold away table needed a lick of paint. We had some red spray paint left over from another project so I sprayed, let it dry and then that was it. I didn't varnish it and I didn't get to cover all of it, so it was a this weird combo of red and faded blue. It was also sticky as I hadn't put a varnish finish over the acrylic spray paint.
So it got stuck in the corner and used as a mini dumping ground/charging station for my many handheld games.
Then when the weather started getting better earlier this year, and I had a new job that didn't leave me getting home until 9pm, I decided that it was about time to finish the table properly. So it got dismantled and I began the slow process of sanding and tidying it all up. (All done by hand as I don't own an electric tool to help...this resulted in a sore arm for a week.)
Then the weather changed...as it does here, and it rained a lot, every weekend I had free to work on it, it was raining, and I didn't fancy accidently spray painting the carpet blue in our rented house....
However as soon as the sun showed up again I sprayed all the dismantled parts of the table. After giving it one more fine sand and wipe down with a damp cloth. The spray painting was done in layers, I was not that fussed about keeping the wood grain as it was all patchy in places and I had already coated the top in red spray paint. So I would spend one weekend spraying it all, and then letting it dry. It then processed to rain again during my free time so it was a few weeks until I got back to it again.
Then I gave it another sand and wipe down for the next sprayed on layer. Now the one thing that I learned from this was the mistake of putting down all the leg pieces on paper to dry after spraying them with acrylic paint. They stuck to the paper, so I then had to remove that, sand away the paper that had embedded in the paint, and then spray again.
|Using an old broken garden tool to use as a base for painting!|
However taking the time to prep, sand, spray, dry and then add the varnish layer has resulted in a very nice smooth finish. I then put it back together, having to rig a replacement washer for one of the leg joints as it went missing (despite best efforts), thank goodness for random collection of materials and tools in my tool box!
Anyway this little table has ended up with a long story, and then to top it off the top didn't quite end up right, I had run out of varnish and there were areas of it that were still sticky. I did not want to put a sketchbook on that!
|You can just about see the patches where the varnish missed.|
So some Fablon to the rescue! I had a roll of this really pretty white with forget me not style flower pattern in the same blue that I sprayed it. (A happy coincidence I might add.)
|New top, that is also wipe clean, handy for split tea. :)|
After all that I added on this new table top and now it has become a nice little piece of furniture that I feel a lot better about. As thanks to all the moving I've done and tight budget I've had for years most of my furniture is flat pack from Argos/IKEA, hand me downs from family or sale items. I mean I still have a flat pack Argos desk from 2004, I'm still not sure how it's survived, although after a slightly bumpy journey in a removal van it does not have a new Fablon covered top too.
I do now want to update and modify the rest of the random pieces of furniture I have, as this little table didn't take that many hours in total to complete. It however is expensive still do to, as in total this table used up 2 sanding blocks, 2 cans of paint and 1 can of varnish. Which doesn't sound much, but it's a dent in a small budget. However it is such a vast improvement on the table as it was, and it is now being used regularly, mainly for Bullet Journal updating as it fits neatly next to my little blue arm chair in the living room.