Sunday, 26 May 2013

Customising Storage - Jewellery Box

The one thing I do like doing is finding solutions to storage so things have their place and can be easily accessed when needed. This is obviously a lot easier to do when you can afford shopping trips to places like IKEA and the like. As I can't, and never really have been able to, afford that I have instead enjoyed finding ways to 'hack' existing items to better suit my needs.

This weekend one such 'hack' was my jewellery box, I have already modified it once with some foam sheets and PVA glue to make the inside more padded. As I tend to wear lots of stone jewelry such as Hematite and Cats Eye (mainly as my nickel allergy prevents me from wearing a lot of stuff and I find the shapes and textures of the stones interesting). :) Anyway the box I have is just a plain wooden one that got given to me years ago, and although it sort of works the necklaces and bracelets tend to get tangled as it doesn't have compartments or places to hang things.

So I thought I would fix that...
The right tools: screws, shorting than the thickness of the wood, pencil, pen knife, small screw driver and modelling screwdriver. 
First off the collection of tools! As the box is made of hardwood it's going to take a little more to screw into it than just the screwdriver. (I found this out when I tried a quick fix a while and and tried to stick some corkboard tacks into it.)

Planning the positions...
With the pencil I first marked the rough outline of the sides of the box so as to make sure that the 'pegs' I was creating wouldn't interfere with it closing. Also as a means to ensure that the the 'pegs' were going to be in a straight line.

One down...
After testing with the the first screw I found a good method for doing the rest well. First score the mark where the screw needs to go using the pen knife, and then use the small drill to drill the hole, making sure that the drill doesn't go all the way through. Then attempt to get the screw in as straight as possible.

Spacing...
For the horizontal spacing I used a nail from my tool kit, which also came in handy for removing the sawdust from the drilled hole as well. The most nerve racking bit of this was making sure each time to not drill all the way through.

Sugru to the rescue...
 After adding in all the screws I realised that they did not quite stick out far enough, and they also looked a little garish. This was when I remembered that I had some Sugru left that really needed using up, this would also help elongate the 'pegs' I was making and create a better surface for the jewelry to hang from.

One packet of Sugru later...
One packet created some nice sized 'pegs' and helped cover up the screws. Now all it needs is to be left to dry overnight.
Bracelets all hanging up...
Necklaces all in the box...
The next day I was able to hang most of my bracelets to the new 'pegs'! Although I think that I may use another pack of Sugru to add to the length of each 'peg' and add one or two more near the bottom of the lid to hang my rings from.

Overall this was a fix that was rather organic in it's making rather than a fully planned out endeavour from the start and I am quite happy about how it turned out.